Self-Evaluation


TESL 0170
Practicum in Teaching ESL

Self-Evaluation

I completed the majority of my TESL Practicum in an Entry Level (CEFR A1-A2) integrated skills class that included listening, speaking, reading and writing. There were thirteen to seventeen students in the class from a variety of countries including China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Brazil and Switzerland. The age of the students ranged from fourteen to about fifty. Each class was three hours long and the curriculum was based on the units in the class textbook, with some supplementary materials and activities. I communicated with my sponsor teacher before and after each lesson to discuss strengths and areas for improvement. I also met with my Practicum Supervisor after one of my initial lessons and after my final lesson to receive feedback on my teaching. Upon completion of my practicum, I have come to have a greater understanding of my strengths as a teacher and areas that could be improved upon.

One of my greatest strengths as a teacher is my ability to create a positive learning atmosphere. I am very enthusiastic and passionate about teaching English, and I think that my enthusiasm is contagious. The students in the class were interested and engaged in the lessons that I taught, and I think this was a direct result of my positive attitude. My Practicum Supervisor also noted that my energy was what really stood out to her after observing my lessons. I made an effort to learn the students’ names and to pay attention to all of them throughout my lessons. I had great rapport with the students and tried to make a personal connection with each and every one of them, which I think contributed to the positive classroom environment.

Both my sponsor teacher and my Practicum Supervisor commented on the fact that I was very prepared and well-organized for my lessons. I prepared a variety of activities and alternated between teacher-led and student-centered activities. There were individual, partner, small group and whole class components to each lesson, as well as communicative practice. I also used a variety of resources, including technology and games. I always had extra activities prepared in case something went faster than anticipated or technology was unavailable. I had clear, detailed lesson plans and made sure to explain and model the expectations for each activity to the students.

I also learned that there are some areas that could be improved in my teaching. I need to make a point of calling on all the students more equally in the classroom. After my first lesson my sponsor teacher noted that there were a couple of students that I had called on more frequently than others. Looking back on it, I think I may have subconsciously called on them more often because I knew that they were stronger students and would be more capable of answering the questions. As I continued teaching the class, I made a point of alternating who I called on more regularly and to be sure that every student had a chance to participate fully in the lessons.

Another area I need to work on is to be more conscious of student and group pairings. At times I matched up two classmates who were both very shy, students who knew each other very well, and classmates who were from the same country. I also had students talk to the same partner or group several times. I think it is important to provide students with an opportunity to speak to a variety of people from different countries and to vary their conversation partner or group throughout the lesson if possible. It is also a good idea to pair them with someone who they might not know as well in order to make the discussion more interesting. Pairing a shy student with a more outspoken student is also beneficial to keep the conversation going. In my later lessons I made a conscious effort to alternate the student and group pairings for conversation activities.

I have now completed the TESL Certificate course and am looking to the future. I am interested in pursuing additional ESL professional development opportunities to hone my knowledge and skills for working with students from other countries. I am currently working in the public school system and I think the education and experience I gained in the TESL program will help me to be a better teacher for all students. I am interested in working in the ESL field in the future. Having a TESL certificate will open up additional career opportunities for me and I am excited about doing so.

I received very positive reviews from the students on the Teacher Evaluation forms they completed. They noted that my directions were clear and easy to understand, that the lessons were interesting and that they could understand my words when I was speaking most of the time. They also stated that I knew their names, paid attention to them equally and was helpful in answering their questions. In the comments section one student noted that a couple of my example sentences for vocabulary were a little long. Another student said that I needed to learn how to use the screen (smartboard) more quickly. I made a note of these suggestions and will work on them for future lessons. A few comments that made an impact on me were that my lessons were very fun,  that I am a very good and helpful teacher and that the students will miss me. As she was leaving the class, one of the students said, “You are the best teacher I’ve ever met!” I could not receive a better compliment than that.

My teaching reflection blog posts are linked below and include links the lesson plans and handouts that I used.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continued Professional Development Report

My Classroom Community

21st Century Learners